Sunday, June 17, 2007

My Dad




It's Father's Day
And we're so far away

I wish I could be there
To drink coffee, laugh, and share

Not only are you my dad
You were my coach and a friend
And you're still my personal comedian

Yes, you're the funniest person I know
When you want to, you can even make Robin Williams seem slow
And your charisma could easily sell snow to an Eskimo

You gave me a deep love of music; Folk and Bluegrass
And you're such a hard worker; you inspire me to just get off of my ass!

You are a writer and a poet at heart
And you gave me a love of nature right from the start

Camping and boating
Laughing and racing

Your spirit is free
And that's such a valuable lesson in me

You even built us a real tree house
And my very own regulation balance beam

You even made yard work seem fun
Like we were all a part of a team

You taught me how to drive and, to this day, I don't even have to think-
I can easily parallel park in just a blink

I still brag that I knew how to drive a standard before I was fifteen
And thank you for the fast-twitch muscles and the jogging gene

You're a mover and a shaker
And, back in the day, you even taught me how to prime a carburetor

At seventeen, when I got my tattoo
Mom freaked-out, but not you

When we would practice soccer, you'd make me spit out my gum
And even now, I hear "Another one bites the dust" when I run

Even when I ditched soccer and went for cheerleading
Although disappointed, you were supportive and it wasn't fleeting

Although you rarely give yourself credit
There are few books that you can say you haven't read it

You have a big heart and the jack-pot always seems to be yours for the taking
You're up and running when the rest of us are just waking

Your creativity mixed with tenacity has brought you far from your humble beginnings
As an added bonus, you're always gathering the winnings

You pulled yourself up by your own boot straps
And, although, not free from hard times
Your special character has guided your path

You always extend an available ear
And when I was little, you held my hand when I couldn't shake my nighttime fear

We still talk often and never run out of things to say
When I'm feeling down you give me support and tell me to pray

Maybe it's all part of the master plan
But thanks to you, I knew how to spot a good man

My girls have a wonderful Daddy just like you
And he wants to give them the world too

Thank you for being my friend and My Dad

I'll Love You Forever

Happy Father's Day

1 comment:

Jen said...

Aww! What a great tribute to your dad!